Learn how Katie chooses the right networking events and then channels good, purposeful energy to meet the right people.
Location: Denver, CO
Her business: Katie Mason Counseling
She is a therapist who does dreamwork, guided imagery, and is creating a program for people with autoimmune disorders.
How we met: Katie and I met at a yoga and networking event put on by the Meetup group I run with my business partner, Danielle. We both wanted to talk further, so we set up a coffee date. When I told her my idea for this project, she was happy to let me take notes on her business and her experiences.
About Katie’s therapy practice:
Katie is a therapist located in Denver, Colorado. But she’s not just any therapist. She specializes in dreamwork and guided imagery to help her clients work through their issues. She says “dreams are powerful” and “there’s an emotional or energetic shift when you tap into the real meaning of a dream.” Katie has enjoyed doing dreamwork with some old friends; it has allowed her to be more innovate and try new things.
A therapist in a family of lawyers, she wants to work with lawyers and help them relieve emotional stress. She is also developing a program for helping people suffering from autoimmune disorders, something that she herself has struggled with.
Her passion for her work really stood out to me. She cares about people so much and it clearly shows. She really wants to help people and make lasting changes.
On conversations that frequently come up for her and entrepreneurial friends:
She said she finds herself talking a lot about the need for work/life balance. When you are doing something you truly love and working for yourself, it can be really tough to unplug and stop working.
Since Danielle and I want to create a unique networking experience, I asked Katie some questions about networking.
Here are some of her insights:
- In order to not feel nervous, she sees networking events as learning opportunities.
- She started networking to get more comfortable with approaching potential clients and referral partners.
- She prepares for networking events by visualizing everything going well.
- She’s made some great, real connections at networking events, and also been to some that were flops.
- Even though Katie does a lot of different things in her practice, she focuses on only one at each networking event, so that people will have an easier way of connecting with her.
My big takeaways:
- When I was talking to Katie about networking events, what stood out the most was that her contentment with an event was directly related to the people attending it, and not as much the content of the presentation.
- She talked about the fact that passion and skill as a therapist weren’t as effective in building a practice as networking was.
- Katie is doing a great job differentiating herself and offering unique services to her clients. I was impressed with how specific she was about what she does, because so many entrepreneurs struggle to identify their target audience.
Katie wants to connect with:
Doctors that need a great therapist to recommend for their patients
Lawyers that want to work with someone who really understands them and their stress level
Anyone who is interested in doing therapy with an emphasis on dreamwork and guided imagery
If you want to connect with Katie, you can connect to her LinkedIn profile here.
1 step you can take to grow your network today:
Choose whether or not to go to an event based on the people attending, not on the content of the event.